Mathematical Biology Group - Rules
(To be Adopted)
The following Rules are to be read in conjunction with the constitution of the Australian Mathematical Society, in sequel to be referred to as the Society, and the constitution of the Division of the Australian Mathematical Society, known as the Australian and New Zealand Industrial and Applied Mathematics, in sequel to be referred to as ANZIAM.
II NAME, OBJECTS AND COMPOSITION OF THE GROUP
2. The Group shall be called the Mathematical Biology Special Interest Group of ANZIAM, hereinafter to be referred to as the MBG.
3. The objects of the MBG shall be to foster and promote the development and application of mathematics in biology as a specialist group within ANZIAM.
To further these objects, the MBG may among other things:
organise seminars, workshops and conferences on mathematics and biology;
organise small-group meetings on particular themes, related to mathematics and biology;
maintain a web resource page with information on the members and their interests and publish information on existing and prospective PhD/Honours projects and courses on mathematical biology;
conduct joint activities with other bodies concerned with fields where mathematics and biology are relevant;
encourage the interaction of users of mathematics in biological applications across academia, government and industry;
build and strengthen a sense of community within the researchers in the areas of mathematical biology in Australia and New Zealand.
5. The MBG shall consist of two classes of Members, namely:
(a) Ordinary Members, who shall be those Ordinary Members of the Society who pay the annual capitation fee to ANZIAM, and who request membership of the MBG;
(b) Associate Members, who shall be those persons who are not members of the Society but who elect to pay an annual membership fee to the MBG, the amount thereof to be determined from time to time by the MBG but in all cases to be not less than the capitation fee paid by Ordinary Members as prescribed in Rule 5(a).
III OFFICERS AND EXECUTIVE COMMITTEE
6. The Officers of the MBG shall be Ordinary Members of the MBG. The Executive Committee shall be Members of the MBG and the composition of the Committee to be subject to the provision of Paragraphs 7 and 8.
7. The Officers of the MBG shall be a Chair, a Secretary and a Treasurer.
8. The Executive Committee of the MBG shall consist of the Officers above mentioned and not more than four further elected Members who shall be called Ordinary Members of the Executive Committee. At least half of the Ordinary Members of the Executive Committee shall be Ordinary Members of the MBG. The Chair of ANZIAM or the Chair’s nominee shall be an ex officio member of the Executive Committee.
9. The Executive Committee shall manage the business of the MBG and shall act to further the objectives of the MBG.
10. The Executive Committee of the MBG must seek approval, from the Executive Committee of ANZIAM, for the annual budget and the financial arrangements for any major undertaking.
11. The Chair or the Chair’s nominee shall preside at all meetings of the Executive Committee. Four members of the Executive Committee shall constitute a quorum.
12. The Secretary shall keep a record of the activities of the MBG and of the Executive Committee, shall be responsible for the conduct of Postal Ballots, and shall do all such things for the use and service of the MBG as appertains to this office. The Secretary shall annually submit a written report on the activities of the MBG to the Executive Committees of the MBG and ANZIAM.
13. The Treasurer shall collect and receive all funds on account of the MBG and shall deposit the same in an interest bearing Society Account established in the name of the MBG. Payments from this Account shall be made by cheques signed by the Treasurer and one other person nominated by the Committee. The Treasurer shall keep true accounts of the sums of money received and expended by the MBG and shall annually submit a financial statement of the Executive Committees of the MBG and ANZIAM. The annual financial statement shall be made available to any member of the MBG on request.
14. All members of the Executive Committee shall act in an honorary capacity.
15. The Executive Committee of the MBG shall organize as it sees fit meetings, conferences and seminars in furtherance of the objects of the MBG as a specialist group within ANZIAM.
16. (a) Where fees are to be charged to cover expenses involved in the organisation and conduct of such meetings, conferences and seminars, Members of the MBG may pay a discounted fee as determined by the Executive Committee.
(b) In matters relating to attendance at meetings, the MBG shall extend appropriate courtesies, as determined by the Executive Committee, to Honorary Members of the Society.
(c) In matters relating to publications of the MBG, the MBG shall extend appropriate courtesies, as determined by the Executive Committee, to Institutional Members of ANZIAM.
IV BALLOTS AND ELECTIONS
17. Positions on the Executive Committee shall be declared vacant in even years at the ANZIAM Conference.
18. The Executive Committee of the MBG shall be elected for the period between even years at the ANZIAM Conferences.
19. Such elections abovementioned shall be held at the ANZIAM Conference, the Returning Officer to be appointed by the Executive Committee holding office in the period leading up to the even year ANZIAM Conference.
20. The Returning Officer shall notify in writing to each Member of the MBG the call for nominations for Officers and Ordinary Members of the Executive Committee; this notification shall be given by three months before the even year ANZIAM Conference.
21. Nominations for any or all of the Officers and Seats to be filled may be made by any two Members who are entitled to vote at the ensuing election, provided that the persons nominated are entitled to vote at the ensuing election and that the nominations are received by the Returning Officer no later than one month before the even year ANZIAM Conference.
22. Retiring Officers and Members of the Executive Committee shall be eligible for re-election to any position on the incoming Executive Committee.
23. Each Member who is entitled to vote shall have just one vote in respect of each office and each seat to be filled.
24. The Member who receives the highest number of votes for each single Office shall be declared elected, and those Members who receive the (up to) four highest number of votes for Ordinary Members of the Executive Committee shall be declared elected. If four or less nominations are received for Ordinary Members then they shall be automatically elected.
25. Persons elected as Officers or Ordinary Members of the Executive Committee shall normally take up their respective positions at the even year ANZIAM Conference.
26. The Executive Committee shall decide whether to fill casual vacancies on the Committee should they occur. Such vacancies shall be filled by appointment by the Committee or by Postal Ballot subject to the provision of Paragraphs 7 and 8.
27. In the extraordinary case where no even year ANZIAM Conference is held, or no election of Officers or Ordinary Members to the Executive Committee takes place when due, the Executive Committee of ANZIAM shall intervene and take whatever action it deems appropriate.
V AMENDMENT TO RULES
28. Any question concerning an alteration of this set of Rules of Procedure shall be decided by a special Postal Ballot restricted to Ordinary Members of the MBG.