Mathematical Methods for Applications: ANZIAM-ZPAMS Joint Conference
11–14 November 2016
This is the historic first conference of ANZIAM to be held in China, run jointly by ANZIAM and the Zhejiang Provincial Applied Mathematics Society, in collaboration with SIAM. The dates will enable Australian lecturers to have time for exam marking before and/or after the event, and to avoid clashes with regular society meetings. This will be an opportunity to explore synergies between two different applied mathematics cultures and to link to a network through a region that has a long tradition of excellence in research and education.
Venue: 11th Nov Zhejiang Univ Sci Tech (bus from hotel)
12th-14th Nov West Lake Hillview International Hotel Hangzhou (4-star)
The hotel venue is close to the National Silk Museum and Calligraphy Museum near the banks of the West Lake, a famous tourist area.A large number of bedrooms have been reserved.
Address: 37 Lianhuafeng Rd, Xihu, Hangzhou, Zhejiang, China, 310002
The special conference standard room rates are 480 RMB including breakfast. (AU $ approx 5RMB). Please register at the hotel website and pay at the venue.
Phone: +86 571 8737 9999
Routes To Hotel (Start Points)
- Hangzhou International Airport
- Taxi, 60 mins, about 130 RMB, 28 km;
- Hangzhou East Train Station
- Taxi, 35 mins, about 50 RMB, 12.8 km;
- Hangzhou City Bus Station
- Taxi, 18 mins, about 20 RMB, 5.6 km;
Please print the front page of the hotel website to show taxi drivers.
For information on Hangzhou region, see http://e.gotohz.com/whyhangzhou
Invited speakers include:
- Professor Ian Sloan AO, FAA, FRN. Based at University of NSW, former President of ICIAM, Professor Sloan’s research interests cover much of practical numerical analysis.
- Academician Prof Zongben Xu. Vice President of X’ian Jiao Tong University, Professor Xu’s research interests include Intelligent information processing, data mining, neural nets, machine learning, and general applied mathematics.
- Dr Alona Ben-Tal. A senior lecturer at Massey University, Dr Ben-Tal is a rising star in the area of physiological modelling, including complexity reduction in neural networks.
- Professor Jin Cheng, Fudan University, Vice President Chinese Mathematical Society. Professor Cheng’s research interests are in inverse problems for boundary value problems with PDEs, also with some experience in numerical differentiation.
- Professor Peter Kloeden of Huazhong Univ. Sci Tech. and Frankfurt Univ. will offer some perspectives on collaboration opportunities.
There will be parallel sessions for contributed talks, as well as special sessions, including
- Stochastic Differential Equations and Finance
- Methods for Partial Differential Equations with Applications
Submission of papers
Abstracts of conference talks should be submitted through the conference registration system by
Conference registrants may submit journal papers on the Zhejiang conference theme, “Mathematical Methods for
Applications”, through the ANZIAM Journal submission page, then click on the item for special issue “ANZIAM-ZPAMS Joint Conference”.
Papers submitted by
- Conference banquet and lunches will be provided. Dietary restrictions may be noted on the registration form.
- Afternoon 10th Nov or afternoon 11th Nov (depending on tides)- excursion to Qiantang river estuary, historic town and location of world's largest tidal bore.
- Afternoon 14th Nov- excursion that will include a hillslope walk past tea plantations and ancient cave sculptures. Excursions will be charged in the local currency.