The JH Michell Medal
In honour of of John Henry Michell, ANZIAM, a Division of the Australian Mathematical Society, has instituted an award for outstanding new researchers. At most one award will be made annually, but only to a candidate of sufficient merit. No person can receive more than one such award. The selection criteria for the award are:
- The researcher must have carried out distinguished research in applied and/or industrial mathematics, where a significant proportion of the research work has been carried out in Australia and/or New Zealand; AND
- On 1 January in the year in which the AWARD is made, the recipient will be within the equivalent of the first ten years of their research-related career*, following the conferral of a PhD**; AND
- The researcher must have been a member of ANZIAM for at least the** three calendar years preceding the year in which the AWARD is made. Backdating of membership is not acceptable
* Allowing for significant interruptions to research development, for example, parental duties, illness, career change.
** Any exceptional circumstances should be forwarded to the Executive Committee to assess eligibility.
- 1999 Dr Harvinder Singh Sidhu
- 2000 Dr Antoinette Tordesillas
- 2001 Dr Nigel Bean
- 2002 Dr Stephen Lucas
- 2003 — no award — (ANZIAM2003 subsumed in ICIAM 2003)
- 2004 Dr Mark Ian Nelson
- 2005 — no award
- 2006 Dr Sanjeeva Balasuriya
- 2007 Dr Yvonne Stokes
- 2008 Dr Carlo Laing
- 2009 Dr Scott McCue
- 2011 Dr Frances Y. Kuo
- 2012 Dr Matthew Simpson
- 2013 Dr Terry O’Kane
- 2014 Dr Ngamta (Natalie) Thamwattana
- 2015 Dr Barry Cox
Nominations for the AWARD can be made by any member of ANZIAM other than the nominee. A nomination should consist of a brief C.V. of the nominee together with the nominee's list of publications and no more than a one page resumé of the significance of the nominee's work. Nominations should be forwarded in confidence, electronically in pdf format, to Associate Professor Harvinder Sidhu (firstname.lastname@example.org), Chair of the Selection Panel, by 6th November 2015.
Please note that, where necessary, the Selection Panel will consult with appropriate assessors concerning evaluation of any nominee's research.